Eh so this is a post poking fun at me and the things I find annoying. Note: Most of them are ridiculous, nitpicky or just plain weird. But hey, who knows why people are annoyed by the things they are :)
1. Reviewers who take multiple names/accounts so they can post multiple reviews of the same book while appearing to be different people. How creepy and stalkerish is that? I admit I’m puzzled by why people do the things they do. I just find it weird and awfully time consuming. I can’t imagine why anyone would invest that kind of time focusing on one book/author. (and yes this does happen. Really!) I’m always left with the same question. What do they get out of it? What’s the payoff?
2. Authors who preach at other authors about how they should behave/act/react whatever. I find mostly that authors who complain the most and point the finger the most are usually the ones most guilty of stupid and or unprofessional behavior.
3. On twitter, people who post vague tweets in response to something that happens on a closed loop. I mean why? Your followers aren’t on that loop and they don’t care about your self righteous response to something they have no clue about. Nor are they interested in your attempt to make yourself look good at the expense of mocking or criticizing someone else.
4. On Facebook, people who have their twitter feed posted to their facebook. And little else on their page. You aren’t talking to your Facebook followers. You’re talking to your TWITTER followers and Facebook people don’t have a clue nor are they interested in eavesdropping on your twitter feed. If they wanted to read your tweets, they’d sign up for twitter and follow you. Facebook people want to talk to you via Facebook. Not twitter!
5. People who try to tell me what I can or can’t do, or that my choices aren’t valid because they aren’t choices they themselves would have made. Just…go away.
6. Gas stations that haven’t raised their credit card limits accordingly to the huge increase in price per gallon. Hell, I can only put half a tank of gas into my SUV at a time. Get with the program. At almost 4 bucks a gallon, your “limit” is chump change.
7. Unmotivated, lazy people who rail at their lack of success and yet won’t do a damn thing to change their circumstances. This is particularly relevant in sports. I see this and it’s really annoying when say half a team works hard and wants to win and learn and the other half could give a crap. This is also relevant in well just about everything. Is see it in publishing a lot. Authors like to whine and complain about how this and that isn’t working or they can’t sell books or they can’t write because of some reason or another and there’s always an excuse for failure and reasons why they can’t do something.
8. When my children follow me from room to room as I run with my laptop trying to escape to somewhere silent so I can get my word count in for the day and they follow me like a pack of wolves who’ve scented blood. Yes, I’m being dramatic. No, I’m not lying. I think the wolves might be quieter at least.
9. People who don’t respond. Now this sounds vague or general but really it’s a pretty broad annoyance in any field. Whether it’s a phone call, email, whatever. I admit I’m not the most patient person in the world. It’s a fault of mine. But when I can’t get information or a response or SOMETHING from someone after repeated attempts, emails, phone calls or whatever? It’s a pretty sure thing I’m going to be pissed. And grumpy. And extremely irritated.
10. People with a sense of entitlement. Now really this shouldn’t need any explanation. It too applies to a broad spectrum of people and circumstances. I see it a lot. It annoys the shit out of me. People want what someone else has. They don’t want to put in the work that someone else has. But they want it. Think they deserve it. They should have it for no other reason than they feel entitled.
Feel free to add your own if like me you needed to vent a little steam. It’s either that or develop an eye twitch *g*